Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has described the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as a “mafia organisation”, vowing to privatise it if elected.
Speaking in Lagos throughout an interactive session with the enterprise neighborhood on Wednesday, Atiku mentioned he would take the step even when doing so would price him his life.
He defined that he bought the concept to ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo whom he deputised between 1999 and 2007 however that the previous president didn’t approve of it.
Atiku mentioned he’s satisfied that NNPC would run higher if not managed by the federal government.
“Let me go back to my experience. When we got into office, I walked up to my boss and said “Sir, there are two mafia organisations in government: one is the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) while the other one is the National Electricity Power Authority (NEPA),” he mentioned.
“I said unless we dismantle these mafia organisations, we cannot make progress. Let’s privatise them… the long and short of this is that I am committed to privitaisation as I have said. I swear even if they are going to kill me, I will do it (privatise NNPC).”
Atiku additionally spoke on how an knowledgeable within the petroleum sector influenced his stance on privatisation of NNPC.
“I asked a Nigerian professor based in America; I said ‘Prof, do you have ministry of petroleum in America?’ He said no,” he mentioned.
“I mentioned, ‘Do you have an organisation like NNPC over there?’ He mentioned no. And America produces oil greater than any nation? He mentioned sure.
“So I asked him, ‘How do they do it in America?’ and he said taxation and I decided that I will go by taxation too.”
Joined by Peter Obi, his working mate, Atiku fielded questions that ranged from the financial system to safety, well being and unemployment.”
He additionally criticised the present administration for the delay in passing the petroleum business governance invoice (PIGB).
Atiku, who mentioned the extent of unemployment within the nation is worrying, narrated his encounter with idle youth throughout his marketing campaign rallies.
He mentioned if left unchecked the shortage of sufficient jobs may create an even bigger downside.
- Sex For Marks: We won’t dance naked with you–AAU blasts Dr. Igbafe
- 2023 presidency race : Tinubu speaks on secret agenda
- Massive Recruitment at Filmhouse Cinemas Limited, April, 2019
- Ongoing Massive Recruitment at Rovedana Limited [ Over 400 Openings ]
- Ongoing Job Recruitment In A Reputable Manufacturing Company [ 8 Positions ]
- NAFDAC 2019/2020 Recruitment | All you need to know
- Easter Tragedy : 156 Kill in three Sri Lanka Cities’ Multiple Explosions
- Nigerian Court Sacks APC Rep-Elect
- Ongoing Recruitment at DreamLabs Nigeria Limited
- Appeal Court Withholds Judgement On Onnoghen’s Four Appeals